This recipe for Caul-Fat Meatballs with Onion Gravy was featured in our Burger Extravaganza Cooking Special, enjoy!
Caul Fat Meatballs with Onion Gravy
For the Meatballs:
1 lb ground game
4 oz game liver, finely chopped
wild game caul fat
1 small onion, grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp freshly chopped sage
2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
2 tsp English mustard
Fresh ground black pepper
For the Onion Gravy:
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 tbsp plain or sauce flour
1 cup good ale
2 cups game or beef stock, heated
2 tsp dried herbs de Provence
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare the gravy by browning the chopped onions in the vegetable oil, about five min. Once they’re brown, add the tablespoon of flour. Continue scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent burning.
3. While cooking the onions, bring stock to a boil, then add to the flour/onion mixture. Then add the beer & dried herbs & keep stirring until the gravy gradually thickens. Add more flour if necessary.
4. Create meatball mixture by combining the ground game, liver, chopped onions, crushed garlic, sage, parsley and time. Mix well, then add breadcrumbs and mix once more.
5. Add salt, black pepper, a touch of mustard, and an egg. Gradually add breadcrumbs until the mix begins to feel dry and doughy.
6. Form the meatballs, then spread the caul fat on a flat surface. Roll each meatball in the caul fat and trim away the excess. You only need one layer of caul fat to encase each meatball, just be sure that they’re entirely encased.
7. Place meatballs in a lightly greased pan, then pour the onion gravy over them. Cover the pan with aluminum foil then place in oven at 350 degrees for two hours.
For a more traditional plate, serve a single meatball over mashed potatoes, peas, then pour onion gravy over the entire dish.